12.12.2010

The Burn Returns

A Wonderful Day For A Ride!!!
With the unseasonably warm temperatures we've been having lately in Flagstaff, the snow in and around town has pretty much melted off, with the high country and north facing slopes being pretty much the only exceptions.  A temp of around 56 degrees and the sun shining brightly made for a perfect day to get a quick ride in (it also helps that the Arizona Cardinals aren't worth watching anymore), so I loaded up and headed to what was a dry Campbell Mesa.  Although, I wasn't trying to set any land speed records on today's ride (currently held by Canadian cyclist Sam Whittingham at 83mph on a flat surface and unpaced); the burn has returned.  I haven't been riding too much recently (basically not at all) due to buying a house, getting married, remodeling a room into a nursery, work, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah, excuses, excuses, excuses...  To quote what seems like Peter's favorite saying these days, "HTFU, Sarge!!!"  It did feel wonderful to get out and get those legs spinning, though.  I managed, to my surprise, to maintain an 11.0 mph average over the course of 11 miles.  And although it was at Campbell Mesa, not Flagstaff's most technical trail and mostly a flat series of loops, I managed to get that burn going in my legs and also my lungs.  Which really boils down to one conclusion...  "Sarge, you need to ride more!"  Campbell Mesa and the base of Mount Elden may have to do for riding locations, though.  I'm trying to stay close to home these days.  Even with a due date of Dec. 20th, the birth of our first child could happen any day now, so taking the trip down the hill to Sedona to ride will just have to wait until January...  hopefully.

While perusing our pictures on the computer today, I came across the following vids that I haven't seen in quite some time.  Keep in mind, I'm no video guru; they may be a bit shaky with random commentary by myself.  Short as they may be, they brought back some fond memories of riding with Team Terpening.

 Peter at Barlett Wash, Moab, Utah.  I Love The Smile On His Face After A Short "Pump-track Style" Session On The Slick Rock

The View From Along The Porcupine Rim Trail, Moab, Utah.  With Peter, Sarah, and Ginni Biggs.

The Finish To The Vehicles At Campbell Mesa, Flagstaff, AZ.  With Peter and Sarah

***Also, there may be a SargeFest 2011 in the works for sometime in September.  I realize it may be a challenge for some of you to get here, but good times are guaranteed with plenty of great riding, beer, and BBQ over the course of weekend.  Shoot me an email if you have any input regarding dates that may work best.  I'm leaning towards a weekend in late September.***

2 comments:

WPG said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Sarge. That was a good trip for sure. Happy Holidays, and good work on the riding.

Sarah said...

Sarge, I remember all of that and we had a great time! The riding was amazing. Good luck to you and Kristina in the coming weeks!!