6.18.2007

Mission Accomplished

It's over, and I guess you could say that I got what I wanted out of the race. I finished it. I would be lying if I told you there weren't plenty of times out there on the course when I seriously considered throwing in the towel. It was far and away the toughest race I've ever done. It was so hot and dusty. But you know what? It could have been a lot worse. I didn't crash, and the Scalpel performed perfectly. My goal for a finishing time was somewhere in the ten hour realm, and I just made it in 10hr49min. I'm really curious to see how many people dropped out. I heard there were quite a few, so just the finishing part feels like a huge accopmlishment. Hugh ended up finishing 5th in the Masters class, and Will finished an amazing 2nd in the Singlespeed class. Congratulations to both of them, great job. In the overall men's class Doug ended up 56th and I scored a solid 70th. Somwhat suprisingly, my neck and shoulders are the sorest part of my body. Following closely in second place are my hands. My fingers are still a little numb even today. Special thanks go out to the pit crew. Sarah, Denise, and Secret Steve did a great job keeping us topped off with all the right food and drinks. All in all it was a great event, and I'm already looking forward to going back next year. Who ever knew that self-inflicted abuse could feel so good? WNR at Boyne this week. I'm looking forward to getting back on the singlespeed. Until then, here's some pictures from the Big MFer (Lumberjack 100).

Chris Eatough coming in for the win.


Hugh psyching out the competition before the start.


In the pits after Lap 2.


Doug and I waiting for our turn in the shower back at the cabin.

3 comments:

Lianna said...

Congratulations Pete! Incredibly impressive! 100 miles in under 11 hrs is a ripping fast average. How long were your stops? Were you able to stay hydrated?
Frickin awesome.

WPG said...

Lianna.
I only stopped for a total of 8min or so according to the computer. Hydration was okay. I was using Perpeteum and Endurolytes for the first time in a race, and both of them worked great.

Anonymous said...

Hey Pete
I checked the results in detail
There were 199 who actually started the race (all the race groups together. Of those 57 did not finish. In your class (mens geared) 122 started and 34 of those did not finish.

Ride on and keep the rubber side down!

It was a fun weekend with you guys. I look forward to many more. Thanks!