1.19.2009

Global Warming?


Global warming seems to have been on vacation up here for the last week or so. Yesterday it got up to 15 degrees, and I'm here to tell you that it felt like 30 (the sunny skies undoubtedly helped with that). I've gotten my breathing back under control, and I rounded out the week with three hard days of skiing. It's been hard to stay motivated to get out skiing every day, but yesterday I thought of another reason why I should. The number of days one can expect to have good ski conditions in a given year is very limited. At most, you could hope for 3.5 to 4 solid months. That would be a best case scenario year. More likely you're looking at 3 months of consistently good skiing. That only gives you around 75 to 100 days with which to practice technique and train for racing. Conversely, you have the whole rest of the year (like 3/4 of it) to bike. As my pappy used to say, "you gotta make hay while the sun shines." And so I will do my best to continue skiing like a motherfu**er until the snow melts.

No comments: