1.23.2009

Product Review



Every January Bell's Brewery puts out this special beer. It's name, Hopslam, should give you a pretty good idea of what we're talking about here. For those not in the know, hops are a main ingredient in most beers. This beer is technically an IPA. The initials stand for India Pale Ale. You see, when England colonized (I mean conquered) India they had a heck of a time figuring out how to get beer to the new territory so far away without having it spoiled. They finally figured out that if they added an a** ton of hops to the regular pale ale it increased the shelf life tremendously. As an added bonus, it also tasted really good. Most micro breweries out there make some version of this beer, and I've yet to find one that top's Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Hopslam is like Two Hearted on steroids. The additional hops not only increase the flavor, they also put the alcohol content through the roof. Consume with great caution (and this is coming from someone with a fairly high tolerance who tips the scales at 180 lbs.) That said, if you like IPA's it's well worth seeking out. You'll have to hurry though, it's usually only around for a month or so. Keep in mind that all that extra alcohol and hop flavor comes at a pretty steep price. Expect to pay about double what you would for a regular high end six pack. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

4 comments:

SARGE said...

Sounds good, I've been curious about the HopSlam. Might have to have you ship a sixer out to me. Have you tried any of the Dogfish Head IPA's. The 120 minute IPA is pretty strong, as well. They're worth checkin' out.

WPG said...

I've had the Dogfish stuff, and it's not bad. It's just hard to beat Bell's. If I can still get some more HopSlam, I'll try and send some out with your parents next time they head to Phoenix. Take care and update your blog yo.

EdO said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I had some Hop Slam last year and loved it. I'm glad it is available again. I will be heading to Party Source tonight. (*o*)v

Unknown said...

great call on the beer pete, I tried some this weekend and loved it. got any inexpensive red wine recommendations? paterson.