2.05.2007

Arctic Training




Had a good weekend out cross country skiing despite the frigid temps. Saturday, Keri and I drove over to Black Mountain just outside of Onaway. We had to break trail through three or four inches of fresh snow most of the time, but it was still a gorgeous day to be out in the woods. Sunday was the 23rd annual Outfitter/Crow's Nest Loppet. For those not in the know, it's a 15 mile ski tour from the corner of Hughston and Lacount Rd. to the Crow's Nest. It was the first time for Sarah, Keri, and I. I'll start off by saying that it would have been much more enjoyable all the way around the horn if it hadn't been zero degrees out when we started at 10:00 a.m. When I picked my car up at the start around 3:00 p.m., it was still zero out. It was cold, so cold in fact that I broke one of my poles about 1.4 miles into the day. I didn't fall on it or anything. I was merely cruising along a flat section near the tower at Stutsmanville Rd. when I heard a cracking noise (see attached photos). I let it dangle there for another mile or two untill the basket started slapping me in the leg. Then I just ripped it all the way off and carried it to the next aid station where I threw it in the trash. So, if anyone is interested in what it's like to cross country ski 13.5 miles in zero degree temps. and only one pole let me know, and I'll give you a full report complete with tips and advice. In the meantime, take care and ski well. Today's fitness tip is: Spit and burp on an exhale.
Do not waste a breath just for this purpose.

No comments: