2.12.2009

Vino, Vino




We used to carry and sell a ton of this wine a while back. Unfortunately, the distributor ran out, and we haven't seen hide nor hair of this bottle in almost six months. Well it's back, and it's just as good as I remembered. It's tough to find a decent ten dollar zinfandel these days, but this one fits the bill perfectly. It's full bodied and dry, as one would expect from a zinfandel. And while there are subtle hints of raspberry, they are balanced well with a hearty oak and pepper flavor. A lot of zinfandels these days allow the fruitiness to overpower everything else, and this is especially true among those in the lower price range. This Melanto Terrace 2005 Zinfandel is bucking that trend, and I like it. A customer from down the street called yesterday to see if it had come back in stock yet. I told her that it had, and that I had three cases in the stacks. She's stopping in today to pick up all three; she must like it to. We're charging $10.69, but looking online it looks like most places might be charging closer to $14. But even at that price, I'd still think it a good bargain. Over and out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that lots of the cheap zins are candy fruit flavored, like pouring a double barrel payload of grape-cherry Nerds onto your tounge. (Thanks for the tip, D Marvin. Now I can't drink affordable zin without smelling little league baseball). If I'm going for fruit forward, I think Rosenblum Petite Syrah does it best of the wines I've tasted. Ever try it, Pete?

Anyway. I don't think I've seen Melanto Terrace in Ann Arbor. I'll have to take a closer look.

-t

Unknown said...

todd, when you find it in ann arbor let me know where. think campus corner or big ten on packard may have it? they usually have a good selection? too bad bella vino went out of business, they could have ordered it. also, if laura doesnt have the baby, I may be hitting spad's on sun/mon , you interested in going? email if you are, i will be offline a few days but have email access only.