5.10.2010

100 Miles of Nowhere by wpeterg at Garmin Connect - Details


So I did ride one of my bikes 100 miles yesterday. The GPS says 98.3; but since I took statistics my freshman year of college, I'm willing to put that within the margin of error and call it 100. It can't be that accurate. I ended up riding the road bike, mainly due to some time constraints. One, the weather. Even though I waited until 10:00 to start, it was still around 34 degrees out. I wanted to start earlier in order to have time to complete at least half the ride on my mountain bike, but f**k riding below 30 degrees in May. On the other end of the time constraint spectrum, we were having my sister, her husband, their two kids, my parents, and two neighbor friends over for Mother's Day dinner @ 5:30. Even riding on the road, a start time of 10:00 meant I was going to be cutting it close. The first thing I noticed on setting off on my first lap (other than it was really cold) was that it was really, really windy. It was so windy that heading down, I repeat down Stutsmanville Hill was hard work. Like heart rate just below the red zone hard work. And so it was that on two of the downhills along this loop were I can normally get a little recovery and rest, I found myself kind of working my a** off. It was going to be a long day in the saddle. I even tried going in the opposite direction. Then it just felt harder than it should have on a different stretch of road. So after 17 laps of the 4.8 mile circuit (around 80 miles) I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to be able to do 4 more laps and be done before dinner. So I rode north (into the wind) for 10 miles and turned around by the Council Tree North of Island View Road. Even still, guests were arriving as I was upstairs changing after my quick shower. 6 hours and 45 minutes of riding absolutely nowhere. The computer puts my "ride time" at 6 hours 41 minutes, which given my rough calculations means I was only off the bike for 4 minutes over three pit stops at the cooler. I'm like NASCAR pit yo. Fuel and go. The wind really fu**ed with my lap times and my head, but other than that I felt really good up until about the 84 mile mark. After that, things started to hurt just a little. But that's all part of the game. Thanks for reading.

100 Miles of Nowhere by wpeterg at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments: