8.20.2010

My $0.02

I recently read a post on drunkcyclist.com regarding fixed gear bikes that got me thinking.  And as I sat at a stop light on my way to work one morning, I watched a track stand being performed in front of me by some punk in skin tight black jeans on a fixie, obviously showing off for whoever was around... and I started thinking even more.  And so, I've basically come to the conclusion that I really don't care for the whole hipster, fixie movement that presents cycling in a bad context (at least in my mind).  For all you bike messengers on fixed gear bikes keepin' it real:  you're cool.  For all you hipster, poser, punk mutha fu*#^rs on fixed gear bikes:  you annoy the shit out of me.  As an avid cyclist myself, I normally wouldn't bash on cycling in any form; but I guess I just don't understand the attraction.  For one, I really enjoy having brakes and being able to stop on a dime, especially in traffic.  Two, I don't remember the last time a saw one of you dumbasses with a helmet on...  your little bike hat isn't gonna save your dome in an accident.  Three, I'm definitely not into the pastel, fashion show color schemes most often found on these bikes.  Four, the only time your not pissing me off is when your walking your bike (which happens a lot because you just want to be seen)... and I'm usually laughing at you.  And finally, I support all forms of cycling that gives the sport a good name; it's hard enough to stay in good standing with vehicular traffic without you hipsters weaving in and out of traffic like a bunch of assho*es.  I suppose all forms of cycling should be celebrated, but it just bugs me that fixies have become such a "scene".  When I think about all the reasons why I ride a bike, "because I want to look cool" never even makes the list.  I think I'd be less inclined to be so negative about fixies if these posers decided to learn how to ride like this:
One gear No idea from chris akrigg on Vimeo.

P.S.  I'll post some local pictures of Flagstaff Fixie Poser Punks when I get a few more minutes.

No comments: